Friends of SOPL
With your help, the Friends fund everyday programs and services in the Library — new books, reading programs, museum passes, and other Library services for the South Orange community!
Just announced! The SOPL Friends Holiday Jewelry Sale will take place Saturday November 13! Full details below.
The Friends of the South Orange Public Library is a 501(c)3 registered charitable organization. Your contribution is tax deductible as provided by law.
Announcing the SOPL Friends Holiday Jewelry Sale!
When: Saturday November 13, 1pm – 4pm. Pre-sale for Friends members and donors 12 noon – 1pm
Where: Lobby of the South Orange Performing Arts Center, One SOPAC Way, South Orange NJ 07079
What: A large selection of jewelry, in a range of moderate prices, for your holiday shopping
Why: Proceeds from the sale will fund new Library books for children, teens, and adults, the children’s summer reading program, the film series, and museum passes, among other Library programs and services.
Donate to the Friends
Thanks to the great good generosity of the South Orange community, the Friends raised over $10,000 for new books, Library programs, and Library services in 2020. We are very grateful to you and thank you sincerely for helping the Library–but the Library can always use more funding. Please Donate and thank you!
Donate jewelry to the Friends' next jewelry sale
Support SOPL by donating your no-longer-wanted bling and baubles to the Friends Holiday Jewelry Sale on November 13.
Donate your gently-used books via the Green Bin in the Library parking lot to Better World Books.
Your donated books turn into money for the Library and help spread literacy around the world. Books are picked up Mon/Wed/Fri; if the bin is full, please come back at another time, as books left out in the weather lose all value.
Give to the Friends when you purchase via AmazonSmile.
During the pandemic the Friends are meeting online, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 5:00-6:30 pm.
–> All are welcome! To attend online, please contact Tonia Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org
–> Upcoming meetings in 2021:
Tuesday September 14, 5-6:30pm
Tuesday October 12, 5-6:30pm
Tuesday November 9, 5-6:30pm
Tuesday December 14, 5-6:30pm
Friends Home Delivery Service
South Orange residents: the Friends will deliver library books and DVDs to your home during the pandemic, and will pick them up three weeks later. Home delivery is provided to residents of South Orange for whom travel to the Library presents a specific hardship.The Friends initiated this new service in February 2021, and by popular demand, have extended it through December 2021. We’re very pleased to provide home delivery to the South Orange community!
- Borrowing limit: 10 library items (including adult books, children’s books, and DVDs).
- All deliveries and pick-ups will take place weekly on Thursdays, between 2pm and 6pm.
Since November 2020, the Friends have funded…
- the summer 2021 children’s reading program, including the purchase of new books on school summer reading lists, and six programs for children
- new adult and teen books on social justice, equity, and inclusion, new titles on health and law, and test preparation books, and new children’s books, including picture books that support inclusion, graphic novels, and nonfiction books on popular topics
- Black History Month programs and speakers
- Paul Auster’s author talk on April 3: in lieu of a speaking fee, Auster requested a donation to the MEND Hunger Relief Network of Essex County, which was funded by the Friends
- a possible future turtle habitat in the Children’s Library, which would be home to two red-eared slider turtles relocated by the South Orange Environmental Commission from the Meadowlands (where they are an invasive species), accompanied by a museum-quality informational display