Friends of SOPL
With your help, the Friends fund everyday programs and services in the Library — new books, reading programs, museum passes, and other Library services for the South Orange community!
NEW! The Friends will deliver library books and DVDs to your home during the pandemic, and will pick them up three weeks later. Scroll down to Friends News, below, to learn more and to apply.
The Friends of the South Orange Public Library is a 501(c)3 registered charitable organization. Your contribution is tax deductible as provided by law.
Donate to the Friends
Thanks to the great good generosity of the South Orange community, the Friends raised over $10,000 for new books, Library programs, and Library services in 2020. We are very grateful to you and thank you sincerely for helping the Library–but the Library can always use more funding. Please Donate and thank you!
Donate jewelry to the Friends Jewelry Sale
Support SOPL by donating your no-longer-wanted bling and gems to the Friends’ first-ever Jewelry Sale.
Donate your gently-used books via the Green Bin in the Library parking lot to Better World Books.
Your donated books turn into money for the Library and help spread literacy around the world. Books are picked up Mon/Wed/Fri; if the bin is full, please come back at another time, as books left out in the weather lose all value.
Give to the Friends when you purchase via AmazonSmile.
During the pandemic the Friends are meeting online, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 5:00-6:30 pm.
–> All are welcome! To attend online, please contact Tonia Moore, email@example.com
–> Upcoming meetings in 2021:
Tuesday April 13, 5-6:30pm
Tuesday May 11, 5-6:30pm
Tuesday June 8, 5-6:30pm
NEW! Friends Home Delivery Service!!
South Orange residents: the Friends will deliver library books and DVDs to your home during the pandemic, and will pick them up three weeks later. The Friends initiated this new service in February, and by popular demand, have extended it through at least June 24. We’re so happy to provide this service to the South Orange community!
- Borrowing limit: 10 library items (including adult books, children’s books, and DVDs).
- All deliveries and pick-ups will take place weekly on Thursdays, between 2pm and 6pm.
Since November, the Friends have funded…
- new adult and teen books on social justice, equity, and inclusion, new titles in health and law, and test preparation books, and new children’s books, including picture books that support inclusion, graphic novels, and nonfiction books on popular topics
- Black History Month programs and speakers
- Paul Auster’s author talk on April 3: in lieu of a speaking fee, Auster requested a donation to the MEND Hunger Relief Network of Essex County, which was funded by the Friends
- a possible future turtle habitat in the Children’s Library, which would be home to two red-eared slider turtles relocated by the South Orange Environmental Commission from the Meadowlands (where they are an invasive species), accompanied by a museum-quality informational display