South Orange Public Library offers Proctoring Services for the community and beyond. The service is free for South Orange residents; all others pay $10.00 fee per exam. Proctored students are responsible for incurring printing fees. The proctor follows the guidelines of the educational institution the student is attending.
The Notary Service is based on the availability of a Library Notary. Patrons seeking Notary Services are advised to call the Library prior to their visit, to ensure that a Notary Public is available at the time.
- Valid photo identification is required for any patron with a Notary request.
- The document(s) to be notarized must be signed in the presence of the notary. If more than one person is to sign, all must be present.
- The Library does not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from library staff or patrons using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the patron with the notary request, and show valid photo identification.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per patron, per day.
- South Orange Public Library notaries are not available to notarize Deeds, Wills, Living trusts, Adoptions, Depositions Mortgages or other real estate closing documents.
- New Jersey Notarial Law requires that the Notary Public and the customer be able to communicate directly with each other. Library notaries are not permitted to use translator to communicate with a customer seeking service.
- In accordance with the NJ Notarial Law, notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise issues of authenticity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library notary at her/his discretion may decline to provide Notary Service.
- Notary Service is free of charge to South Orange residents; there will be a $2.00/signature fee for all others.