Computer + Tech Resources
South Orange Library offers a wide variety of materials of particular interest to patrons with sensory and cognitive disabilities:
- Large Type books
- Audiobooks on CD
- Enhanced Vision Video Magnifier
LEAP (Library Equal Access Program) started in 2015 as a partnership between New Jersey State Library TBBC, New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) and three New Jersey public libraries, including South Orange Public Library.
LEAP, sponsored by CBVI, was tailored toward adults 55 years of age and older, providing basic computer skills training on how to use assistive software, such as magnification and audio reading tools, to help vision impaired users with reading websites, emails and other documents, as well as using assistive technology features available on IPad-s.
The ultimate goal of the LEAP program is to promote independence and to remove the digital divide for older adults with vision impairments.
It places state-of-the-art technology and training in public libraries to serve people closer to where they live. These classes for those new to iPads or assistive software will expand skills and opportunities.
TBBC (Talking Book & Braille Center)
South Orange Public Library offers TBBC services to patrons who have difficulty reading standard print or holding a book.
Who is eligible?
New Jersey Residents are eligible: A New Jersey resident of any age (including children, teens and adults) who cannot read standard print, hold a book in his/her hand or turn the pages of a book due to the following difficulties may be eligible for these services. This includes those whose ability to read is affected by:
- a physical impairment
- a reading disability
- a vision impairment
How can you apply?
- An individual must apply for TBBC’s services and have his/her eligibility certified. An application can be found here, or by calling TBBC at 1-800-792-8322 for an application to be sent by mail.
- The application must be certified by a doctor or a professional librarian (see second page of application).
- The original signed and certified application can be scanned and emailed, faxed, or mailed to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 609-406-7181
- Mailing address: New Jersey State Library Talking Book & Braille Center, P.O. Box 501, Trenton, NJ 08618. Mark the outside of the envelope “Free Matter for the Blind or Handicapped” and it will ship to TBBC postage-free.